Saturday 15 May 2010

Were my eyes deceiving me?


This morning I made a quick trip to town in the rain and as I passed a bookshop I saw this !!!!**??
People knitting in a shop window complete with knitting books all around (not worth buying unfortunately) Now to other members of the Ravalry knitting community this may seem rather normal but in Italy I have never ever EVER seen people knitting in public.
Naturally, as is often the case in these parts, there has been no publicity in the newspapers, I read them everyday. But after some searching on Internet I found out the following.
REMIDA day. For the 11th year running the city council together with the electricity board and local schools dedicate a month (May) to raising ecological awareness and recycling materials. This year the day is called World in Progress. Rather strangely titled in English with no explanation or English text given!
Followed by a whole list of admirable engagements, initiatives and projects for the month of May, dedicated to making the most of materials, creative and ecological recycling, environmental respect, waste reduction (the city is already a European leader in separating waste)
But the most interesting project for me is MADEAMANO (handmade) and I've already missed the first day of public knitting. Several corners have been set up in the city where people are invited to knit recycled wool which will eventually be made into an art installation to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Italian Republic. Other aims include lessons, teaching in nursery schools (again Reggio is world famous for its nursery school system), passing on traditions, getting people to meet up etc,...the last point makes me rather mad because I would have been the first if I'd known.
All culminating with REMIDA DAY, next Sunday, another knit together in the park and a second hand market in the centre. Italians do not usually have boot or garage sales like Uk and USA. It's all so innovative for these parts, I've been waiting for years for such a chance BUT!!!!! I shan't be here next weekend. Da..................!.

1 comment:

paula said...

What a bummer? A newspaper that doesn't print local news like this. It actually sounds like our local paper. . . so many times the "happenings" around the are are listed the day they happen . . . and with a late afternoon/evening newspaper, that is too late :o{